A general concept that most people have is that sugar is the primary source of energy in the body. However, a more efficient source does exist in the form of ketones, which is rarely utilized. Ketogenic diet weight loss works through utilization of these alternative energy sources in the body. Nowadays, a lot of people opt for the diet for the numerous benefits it offers, including weight loss. So, what is keto and how does the diet work?
The body produces ketones when it metabolizes fat. These ketones are then used by cells for powering the standard functionality. The metabolic state of having ketones in the body is known as ketosis. The main aim of ketogenic diet is eating in a manner that the body is induced into this metabolic state. The diet primarily consists of high-fat content along with adequate protein and low carbohydrates.
The metabolic process of the body wherein fat is utilized primarily for energy over carbohydrates is known as ketosis. During this process, the body directly breaks down its fat stores for energy. It doesn’t convert muscle and fat cells slowly into glucose for energy. Your body enters this state when it does not have adequate availability of glucose. Understanding of this process gives you the answer to the question of what is keto.
When the body breaks down fat for energy, ketones are produced as the by-products. This only occurs when the intake of carbohydrates is low. Whenever you ask what is the keto diet, you will come to know that it is a low carb diet. Hence, the diet induces production of ketones.
How does it work?
You might come to know what is the keto diet. Still, you might be curious as to how it actually works. Primarily, ketogenic diet works through:
- Cutting down on carbs: The diet incorporates an extremely low level of carbohydrate intake, which results in insufficient glucose levels within the body. When that happens along with depleted levels of glycogen, insulin and blood sugar levels also decrease. The body then starts looking for an alternative fuel source. That is when ketogenic diet weight loss starts working.
- Breaking down fats: With the lack of carbs in the body, the body starts breaking down fats for energy. The process is called beta-oxidation. In this process, there is an increase in acetyl-CoA. The acetyl-CoA then turns into acetoacetate, which then turns to beta-hydroxybutyrate. This ketone body floats around in the blood for providing energy to the brain and the body. This is perhaps the best explanation you can get for what is keto.
Why does the body need ketones?
The human body has always relied on ketones upon scarcity of glucose sources. Ketosis weight loss takes advantage of this phenomenon. Although it is a healthy state of metabolism, people’s bodies rarely utilize it due to the abundance of carbohydrate. As a result, it is now very much a dormant metabolic process. However, ketogenic diet forces the body to utilize this amazing metabolic pathway. It enables the body to burn ketones for fuelling bodily processes.
The numerous benefits of the diet
As far as benefits of incorporating the diet is concerned, ketosis weight loss is the most obvious and popular one. However, the benefits vary from individual to individual. Considering what is keto, it is only natural that different people experience different benefits. However, most people experience benefits like decreased body fat, better physical performance, improved insulin sensitivity, mental focus and memory. With such advantages, people incorporate ketosis diet for:
- Losing weight: You naturally lose more weight when your body directly uses fat as energy source. Since your body turns to its stores of fat instead of sugar, you tend to lose weight more readily. This is why ketogenic diet works so well.
- Improving levels of energy: When you only incorporate ketogenic recipes in your diet, your body tends to have more consistent levels of energy. This is because there are no surges of glucose, resulting in your body fat being utilized.
- Improving physical performance: You think of weight loss whenever you consider what is keto. However, the diet also improves your physical performance by helping the body utilize oxygen more efficiently. Your body also avoids physical crashes because of low blood sugar.
- Increasing focus: The brain prefers fat as it is more consistent as a source of energy. This means that your levels of focus don’t fluctuate a lot during keto diet.
- Disease prevention: Ketogenic recipes are also beneficial for specific diseases. The diet is considered to benefit people with diabetes and cancer patients. It also shows a decrease in Alzheimer’s and Inflammation.
How does it help with weight loss?
If you want to know what is keto, you are likely searching for a diet that helps with weight loss. It is indeed one of the most effective diets that help you in losing weight. Numerous factors come into play for weight loss. Keto diet uses these factors to help you shed the extra weight.
- Increased oxidation of fat: When you maintain a proper ketogenic diet, your body gets into a state in which the fat is oxidized readily. The increased fat oxidation means you start shedding unnecessary fat.
- Regulation of hormone: Ketosis diet also helps in sustaining weight loss since it regulates the hormones affecting weight. Incorporating the diet decreases the cravings for unhealthy foods. This considerably reduces your chances of gaining weight again.
- Regulation of appetite: With this diet, you are required to eat food with high content of healthy fat. This means that you feel full, even though you are on a keto diet for weight loss. You end up having a more controlled appetite, which is extremely helpful for sustaining weight loss.
- Regulation of blood sugar: Weight loss diets including high carbs tend to create spikes in blood sugar levels. As a result, you feel hungry soon after eating. You also feel unfocused and tired. This doesn’t happen with ketogenic diet as it is based on low intake of carbs.
Perhaps this is why people opt for the keto diet, and you should try too! Get your desired fitness and don your favourite slim tops and jeans now!